Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Brie en croute

Just out of the oven, with brie bubbling through the top:



This is its genesis. I used the brioche recipe from my culinary bible, Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise," but chose a mini-brie instead of the 2-pound wheel prescribed. The recipe calls for a filling of apricots, walnuts and citrus zest soaked in amaretto. I've made it several times before, and it's excellent. But this time I wanted something savory, so used her suggested variation of prosciutto, fresh sage leaves and lemon zest:



Omigod. I'll DEFINITELY be using the big 2-pound wheel of Brie next time! It was an incredible blend of so many flavors - the butter in the brioche, the creamy brie, the salty prosciutto, the zing of lemon and the incomparable aroma of fresh sage (thank goodness my plant made it thus far into the season.)

Wish I had a picture of the sliced brie. So pretty - the layers of brown and yellow bread, white cheese, pink meat and green sage with yellow flecks of lemon zest. We were starting on the cranberry vodka cocktails - and reaching for the camera was not on my mind!

Gillian Coldsnow

No comments: